Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Big Changes Coming


It's been a bit since I posted anything....and this is for a number of reasons. My life has taken an interesting series of turns in the past 6 months. Some of these changes have been challenging, to say it nicely, and others are proving to be very exciting. The biggest of which is the decision to open my own veterinary hospital after 13 years of private practice. This decision was one I did not come to lightly but I am extremely excited about the potential this holds and the future it brings me, both personally and professionally.

I have been extremely lucky during my career to work alongside a number of successful veterinarians who have inspired me to pursue this dream. I have learned so much, not only about veterinary medicine, but also about good business and I can't wait to put these lessons into action. Notoriously, veterinarians are not interested in the business aspect of our jobs however I am a bit of an anomaly, in that I actually love the business aspect. I like crunching numbers, determining profitability, comparing market reports, and so on, and so on. I am excited to be able to set up a practice with the quality of medicine I hold dear to my heart, but also to grow a successful business. It's a scary adventure, because at the end of the day, there is no one else to blame if it fails except for me. However, imagine the immense pride when it succeeds.

The building is under construction and I am anxiously awaiting the day when we get to start our portion of the build-out so I can start to see the exam rooms, treatment area, surgery suite etc. I am excited to pick out wall colors, decorations and countertops. I will be ecstatic the day I get to set up my office and the first time the phone rings to schedule an appointment. I can't wait to stand back, my daughter by my side, and say 'this is mommy's other baby'.

We are hoping to open our doors this fall - our website is underway and you can watch progress of our hospital at chestnutarborvet.com or on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/chestnutarborvet/). I'm looking forward to sharing this adventure with all of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment